· Toyota brand maintains its second place as best-selling passenger car brand in Europe(1)
· Toyota Motor Europe (TME) continues to outperform the market with sales of 813,547 vehicles
· Record sales of Toyota and Lexus multi-technology electrified line-up, which now represents 66%
of total sales in Europe
Brussels, Belgium – Toyota Motor Europe (TME) (1) today reported sales of 813,547 Toyota and Lexus vehicles, a decrease of -6% year-on-year but still outperforming the European automotive market which fell by -16% over the same period. TME’s market share increased to a record 7.5%, marking an increase of +0.8% points year-on-year and maintaining a momentum which has seen its share grow by +2% points since 2019. Sales of the company’s multi-technology electrified line-up expanded to 540,777 vehicles, an increase of +5% year-on-year. The Toyota brand consolidated its position as the 2nd best-selling passenger car brand in Europe(1) with a market share of 7.2%, up +0.9% points compared to the same period in 2021.
These results reflect the product power of the Toyota and Lexus portfolio . We continue to perform well ahead of the market which has remained weak due to a combination of factors impacting the automotive industry. We’re seeing strong demand for our electrified line-up, especially from key contributors such as new Yaris Cross, Yaris and Corolla. We expect demand to continue to exceed supply thanks also to our new Toyota and Lexus model launches.
Matt Harrison, President & CEO of Toyota Motor Europe
Brands and model performance
Toyota sold 778,431 vehicles in the first 9 months. The brand’s top sellers were Corolla, Yaris, Yaris Cross, RAV4 and C-HR accounting for 60% of total volume. Toyota’s overall electrified mix increased by +8% year-on-year with 512,999 vehicles sold and representing 66% of total brand sales.
Lexus sold 35,116 vehicles in the same period, with its overall electrified mix at 79% of total brand sales. The brands’ extensive SUV line-up of RX,NX,UX,GX and LX represented 89% of total sales. Overall sales have been disrupted by supply chain issues and the suspension of exports to Russia.
TME highlights January- September 2022:
- Total sales: 813,547 (-6% year-on-year)
- Market share: 7.5% (+0.8% points year-on-year)
- Total electrified sales: 540,777 (+5% year-on-year)
- Total electrified mix: West Europe: 73% – East Europe*: 33% – TTL: 66%
Toyota highlights January- September 2022:
- Toyota sales: 778,481 (-3% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Corolla (143,187); Yaris (134,896); Yaris Cross (115,287); RAV4 (92,854); C-HR (92,063)
- ·Top electrified: Corolla Hybrid (111,338); Yaris Cross Hybrid (108,279): Yaris Hybrid (104,954); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (91,714); RAV4 Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid (76,308)
- Total electrified sales: 512,999 (+8% year-on-year)
- Electrified mix: West Europe: 72%, East Europe*: 34% – TTL: 65%
Lexus highlights January- September 2022:
- Total Lexus sales: 35,116 (-41% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: NX (10,912); UX (10,852); RX (8,036)
- Top electrified: UX Hybrid/EV (10,410); NX Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid (9,851); RX Hybrid (4,615)
- Total electrified sales: 27,778 (-29% year-on-year)
- Electrified mix: West Europe: 98%, East Europe*: 21% – TTL: 79%
Sales for January – September 2022 is listed below:
|TOTAL TOYOTA / LEXUS||813,547|
|Yaris (incl. Yaris Hybrid)||134,896|
|Yaris Cross (incl Yaris Cross Hybrid)||115,287|
|Yaris Cross Hybrid||108,279|
|Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (including Hybrid)||85,036|
|Corolla H/B & Touring Sports Hybrid||81,390|
|Toyota C-HR (incl. Hybrid)||92,063|
|Toyota C-HR Hybrid||91,714|
|Corolla SDN (incl. Hybrid)||58,151|
|Corolla SDN Hybrid||29,948|
|Prius Plug-in Hybrid||607|
|Camry (incl. Camry Hybrid)||12,964|
|RAV4 (incl. RAV4 Hybrid & RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid)||92,854|
|RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid||17,399|
|Highlander (incl. Highlander Hybrid)||7,141|
|PROACE (inc PROACE EV)||27,301|
|PROACE EV (inc PROACE VERSO EV)||3,420|
|PROACE CITY EV (inc PROACE CITY VERSO EV||2,343|
|IS (incl. IS Hybrid)||70|
|ES (incl. ES Hybrid)||3,415|
|LS (incl. LS Hybrid)||142|
|NX (incl. NX Hybrid)||10,912|
|UX (incl. UX Hybrid)||10,852|
|RX (incl. RX Hybrid)||8,036|
|RC (incl. RC Hybrid)||13|
|LC (incl. LC Hybrid)||209|
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
*East Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, Caucasus, Ukraine, Turkey and Israel.
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.