Otis Worldwide Chair, CEO & President Judy Marks joined the inauguration event. Invests in local expertise with ultramodern, state-of-the-art printed circuit board production hall, serving the German, European and global markets.
Otis Worldwide Corporation (NYSE: OTIS), the world’s leading company for elevator and escalator manufacturing, installation and service, officially inaugurated its new printed circuit board production hall in Berlin in the presence of Judy Marks, Chair, CEO and President of Otis, and Emine Demirbüken-Wegner, Mayor of Berlin-Reinickendorf.
For more than four decades, Otis has developed expertise in the design, manufacturing and assembly of printed circuit boards (PCBs) in Germany. Otis PCBs made in Berlin are used in elevators and escalators all over the world, including for example in the legendary Burj Khalifa in Dubai and in Otis escalators on the London Underground and Elizabeth line.
Otis invested 8 million euros in this state-of-the-art production hall dedicated to advanced and complex PCB designs, as well as rapid prototyping and industrialization for series productions, such as those used in the new digitally native Gen360TM platform. With this new production hall, Otis is building on the expertise of its Berlin-based teams in the design and production of PCBs, a field of growing strategic importance for many industries.
“Berlin is a location with a great culture for innovation and advanced technology,” said Otis Chair, CEO and President Judy Marks. “The critical components we develop here enable customers from all over the world to shape the smart, connected and sustainable cities of tomorrow.”
The new production hall is part of the Otis SSI1 Electronics Berlin factory, which employs more than 180 colleagues who also manufacture drive packages and complete elevator and escalator controllers. Around 75% of the equipment manufactured in Berlin is destined for European construction projects, as well as the large and growing modernization market. The remaining 25% is exported overseas.
The team in Berlin also provides sales support in the planning and development of major projects, such as the recent modernization of 30 elevators at the Center Potsdamer Platz in Berlin. During her stay in the German capital, Marks visited the iconic location, where Otis technology has provided vertical mobility since the 1990s. The site is currently undergoing a major transformation led by the owners Oxford Properties Group and Norges Bank Investment Management.
“Otis has proven to be a strong vertical mobility partner in the past. We look forward to our continued collaboration as our companies share the ambition to shape the future of our respective industries – by driving digitalization, developing sustainable, energy-efficient solutions, and in all of this, putting people at the center,” said Yvonne Bergmann, Associate Director Office Retail & Life Science Europe of Oxford Properties Group.
1Sub System Integrator